Environmental Health & Safety (EHS)
Leverage Wabtec’s Environmental Health & Safety solutions and drive towards ‘Zero-harm’ and maximum productivity by safeguarding your miners, equipment and infrastructure from vehicle interaction risks. Our solutions are about preventing injury, possible loss of life, and damages from open pit mining vehicles. Wabtec delivers reliable, best-in-class foundational solutions that can integrate with other value-add technologies
Quick Statistic: An improvement in safety equates to a 10% reduction in lives lost and 20% decrease in injuries within Mining.
Wabtec’s Environmental Health & Safety Solutions are a suite of hardware and software solutions to assist in managing vehicle interaction risks for open pit mines that enable your operations to enhance production and efficiency, while increasing safety and control. Using advanced technology field hardware and communications software, along with best-practice business processes, the Digital Mine’s safety technology provides industry-proven fleet optimization and vehicle interaction risk reduction. Further features include GPS-based equipment tracking, equipment health monitoring, maintenance tracking, blending, and production reporting. With over 12 years of recognition for its optimization algorithm, and over 10,000 installations worldwide, the Digital Mine’s safety technologies are considered your go-to source for helping mine sites operate safer and reliably.
- Enhance mine site safety by mitigating vehicle interaction risks. Workplace injuries are unacceptable and with Wabtec’s Safety Solutions they can be preventable.
- The global mining landscape is fluid and dynamic.
- Technological advancements have led to fundamental changes on the
- ground and the developing world’s need for resources has impacted the industry greatly. But the very real risks associated with vehicle interactions in mining remain.
Managing Operator Behavior
- Monitor and correct unsafe operator practices with our suite of Safety Solutions. Our solutions offer mining companies the technology
- to manage operator behavior with effective reporting tools that improve safety culture and compliance. This represents a highly cost-effective way
- of avoiding disruptions and productivity losses.
Industry Leader in Compliance
- Set new standards in workplace safety and compliance.
- Death and injury through workplace collisions due to vehicle interactions are
- unacceptable and may be prevented. At Wabtec Mining, we believe that workplace safety
- is not simply a matter of ticking boxes: it is good business practice.
Services & Support
- Ensure year-round reliability
- With Wabtec’s Digital Mine service and support team at your disposal you can ensure that our Safety Solutions runs seamlessly all year round.
- With unsurpassed service and support, Wabtec’s Digital Mine will keep your system in excellent condition.
Lower total cost of ownership
- Reduce time delivered via a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) model, providing flexibility and access to mining insights where it matters – with edge, cloud and hybrid configurations.
- Advanced safety technology. Our solution represents benchmark technology in the Digital Mine space.
Environmental Health & Safety Benefits
Providing end-to-end value for mining
33-40% EH&S Incident Reduction
Proven in use over 12 years and 370 million hours of operation
Protection for vehicles, equipment and personnel from vehicle interaction risks
Safety solutions at 40+ sites during the span of 15 years
Collision Awareness Systems: Wabtec’s Collision Awareness solutions suite is a sophisticated and adaptable collision awareness and reporting system developed specifically for the mining industry. CAS provides 360-degree situational awareness of objects in proximity to a heavy vehicle during stationary, slow speed and high-speed operations in order to reduce the risk of vehicle to vehicle, vehicle to infrastructure, vehicle to personnel and vehicle to environment interactions:
- All vehicles are fitted with a GPS receiver, vehicle-to-vehicle (V-V) radio link and vehicle display unit.
- The system automatically detects obstacles within critical zones around a vehicle and notifies the driver with progressive audible alerts and radar style graphic alerts on the vehicle display unit.
- Alarming is based on real-time predictive algorithms based on heading, speed, stopping distance, vehicle / object type and distance.
- Alarm rules are displayed visually providing the driver with situational awareness information in order to avoid a high-risk interaction.
- Personnel are fitted with a personnel protection tag that alarms when the person enters the programmed high-risk zone of a Heavy Vehicle. Both the Heavy vehicle operator and personnel on the ground receive audible & visual alerts. The Personnel Protection System uses Low-Frequency-Magnetics (LFM) technology to ensure reliable detection of mine workers on the ground in close proximity to Heavy Vehicles without blind spots.
- Alarm rules are fully programmable to the mine site requirements
- Optional high accuracy RF proximity units can be used to supplement GPS proximity detection for high integrity applications.
- Up to four (4) optional ruggedized cameras can be installed on heavy mobile equipment as visual aids of high-risk blind spots. Cameras can be programmed to automatically switch to nominated camera views based on gearing or indicator arrows or GPS / RF zone of detection.
Why Collision Awareness?
- Managing Vehicle Interaction (VI) Risk
- Increased Safety
- Cost Avoidance
- Supports add on capabilities (Integrated Safety + Productivity solutions)
|The Benefits at a Glance:||Differentiated Features|
Collision Awareness System Products at a glance
Provides real-time predictive proximity alerts and vehicle / asset tracking via web based reporting.
Provides interaction reports, journey replay, hot-spotting, geofenced exclusion zones / alarm events, safety adherence reports and system health monitoring.
Vehicle display unit
Touch screen HMI with graphics display of remote objects showing ID, range, speed and heading with configurable audible, voice and visual alarms.
Personal Protection Units alert workers in close proximity to heavy mobile equipment, substantially reducing the risk of personal injury.
Strategically placed proximity units afford operators unparalleled situational awareness—contributing to improved safety levels on-site.
Robust wide-view cameras eliminate blind spots with auto switching on direction of travel and to zones of object detection.
Safety adherence technology
Monitor and correct unsafe operator practices to improve your mine site’s safety culture and compliance.
High integrity proximity detection
The proximity detection system provides unparalleled integrity and redundancy for improved protection and two-way alarming between vehicles, personnel and infrastructure.
Real time data connectivity allows for personnel tracking and messaging, and asset tracking (contingent on mine site communications network coverage)
Product Deep Dive CAS Surface:
|Product Portfolio:||CAS Extensions|
Collision Awareness Systems Differentiated Features:
- Radar style graphic view of surrounding vehicles / objects showing ID, speed, distance, heading and vehicle / object type
- Intelligent logic with proximity detection beams reduces nuisance alarms.
- Audio, visual and voice alarms allow the operator to comprehend the source of alarms and criticality.
- Ability to advise operator about speed limits, stop signs and special geofence areas.
Easily defined and configured rules or actions based on geofence
- Speed limit area
- Approaching public road or stop sign
- Trigger boom gate
- Keep out area / no-go zone
- Web based reporting system using Microsoft SQL server database
- Generate & view interaction reports overlaid on mine site aerial photograph
- Create alerts & geofences (for no-go / exclusion zones)
- Trending analysis – used to analyse operator behaviour
Drill Guidance Systems: Safe, Accurate and Reliable Drilling Performance
Building on Wabtec's best in class Drill Guidance System, we are expanding the first stage offering in the digital mine cradle to grave mine digitization strategy, improving accuracy of borehole data and reducing "drill to data" time. We are world’s most reliable & accurate drill-guidance system (DGS) for underground coal mining. DGS is primarily used to strategically and thoroughly drain coal seams of potentially deadly explosive gases prior to commencement.
We are continuously strengthening our offering through in-house development and third-party partnerships. Our latest advances will enable geological ore-body mapping and dewatering of open-pit mining as additional functionalities.
DGS is a Risk Mitigation Product and is Certified for use in Group I Explosive Atmospheres in several countries and is currently the Industry Leader, with proven performance for over 17 years and a Global footprint with unparalleled accuracy, it has been praised by customers as consistently “hitting targets the size of a dinner plate at 1000 meters”.
Drill Guidance Solutions Differentiated Features:
Drill Guidance Systems Downhole:
The DGS Downhole Unit is an I.S. MWD electronic survey instrument that is installed behind the downhole motor on the end of the drill rods. When used during directional drilling, the Downhole Unit measures the pitch, azimuth and tool face survey information. It sends this data as well as system information back to the DGS computer system mounted on the drill rig via the MECCA communications system installed in the drill rods. MWD means that the surveying of the drilled hole is far more efficient than other survey systems.
DGS Touch is an Intrinsically Safe (I.S.) Measure Whilst Drilling (MWD) survey tool for Directional Drilling in underground Coal mines for gas drainage, exploration and dewatering holes.
DGS Touch is operated entirely using the Touch Screen which provides easy access to all features of the system. The intuitive software offers only the screens relevant to the current operation which increases drilling efficiency and enables the operator to very quickly access the specific functions required.
DGS Touch is designed to provide advanced diagnostics, such as full battery management, Downhole Instrument diagnostics and MECCA line communication analysis.
DGS with Touch Screen Technology
All operations of the DGS are controlled using the touch screen and the software displays the menu buttons relevant to the current operation.
Digital Workplace Safety
Industrial safety officers and managers are under constant pressure to create and maintain accident free environments. Digital Workplace Safety enables your existing CCTV system to recognize safety and zone violations while monitoring its own camera health. The result is vastly improved infringement and incident detection. Wabtec’s Digital Mine’s Safety Solution combined with Stone Three Solutions provides for safety monitoring system that allow for consistent, real-time detection. Digital Workplace Safety software processes multiple CCTV feeds simultaneously. Its ever-evolving machine learning filters (artificial intelligence) is trained to recognize – and get continuously better at recognizing:
- Safety-zone violations
- Hard hat violations
- Safety vest violations
- Protective eye wear violations
- Crowding & abnormal behavior
Digital Mine Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
During our own digital transformation process, we quickly realized we couldn’t undertake the journey completely on our own. Wabtec Digital Mine has an open-innovation partner ecosystem that spans mining markets and industrial outcomes. We pull from this ecosystem in providing solutions to address various customer problem statements combined with customer-specific technologies. Customer-side this could include SCADA, DCS, CMMS/EAM, sensors, process historian, etc. Solution-side this could include edge computing, APM (on-premise or cloud), field-based monitoring, data lake, big data visualization, fiber optic sensors, water-based and geological sensors, InSAR, LIDAR, etc. (some as a Wabtec ecosystem, others as customer). Our partner program now features a co-innovation model that not only includes resellers and distributors, but also includes Partner Ecosystem leading technology partners, independent software vendors (ISVs), and thousands of developers.
Wabtec Digital Mine has deep experience developing, deploying, and managing solutions across a range of highly regulated and conservative industries. We understand that industrial companies need assurance that their critical data assets are protected and overall risk is reduced. And we are convinced that the cloud approach offers both the best way to develop and deploy applications faster and more cost effectively. It’s also the best way to secure and manage these solutions – in order to isolate, encrypt, store, and protect the data they generate and process.
The Digital Mine team combines a deep bench of subject matter experts (SMEs) and the use of advanced data analytics to support ongoing asset and process optimization, which results in increased productivity and failures prevention. Data analytics, applied over various projects, uses data from multiple sources to provide real-time decision support and predict and optimize operational performance.
For asset management, data analytics will assist in predicting emerging equipment failures, assessing remaining useful life, and supporting the development of optimized maintenance strategies, driving continuous improvement and cost reduction. Data analytics will also be used to monitor plant performance and optimization across all mining circuits.
Data analytics can be used broadly for asset management and operation optimization, and more narrowly for decision support and prediction (both for process and equipment) to improve operational performance. Like operation optimization, asset management analytics – when specific analytics are non-existent – can be developed by Wabtec’s Digital Mine or the client to satisfy unique requirements.
Our customers are behind the most forward-looking progress in Mining.
Technology intervenes to prevent mine fleet traffic incidents
Mine sites are governed by rigorous safety procedures and policies, but even so, with employees both on foot and often necessarily driving light vehicles in the vicinity of hydraulic shovels and excavators, haul trucks, mobile drills and dozers, accidents and SPIs occur.
Head of the CAS
BHP, the world’s leading mining operator, is no stranger to Wabtec’s Digital Mining solutions. We’ve partnered with them successfully around the world, most recently in Australia, where they’ve seen the safety benefits of our CAS solution in action. Now they want that same ‘best-in-class’ safety system fitted to their extensive fleet in their Escondida mine in northern Chile, the world’s largest copper mine.
Webinar: Breakthrough’s within Digital Mines Collision Awareness Solutions
Wabtec’s Digital Mine will discuss how safeguarding people, equipment, and infrastructure is possible with a sophisticated and adaptable collision avoidance and reporting system developed specifically for the mining industry. In addition, we will demonstrate how Proximity Detection Solutions can be used to reduce vehicle interaction risk for above ground applications. Join this interactive webinar to see a live demonstration of Wabtec’s Digital Mine Collision Awareness Solution suite. This informative session will provide an opportunity to learn, see and engage in the future of Digital Mine.
Webinar: A Near Miss is an Almost Accident: A Mine’s Real Life Experience with the Wabtec Collision Awareness System
Are you ready to learn how Wabtec’s Digital Mine Collision Awareness Solution can help drive zero-harm while bringing tangible outcomes at your mining site? Interested in understanding best practices when driving deployment at your operations?
Join this interactive webinar to understand our portfolio of solutions, recognize the impact of implementing our solutions on site and recent advances with our technologies. This informative session will provide an opportunity to learn, see and engage in the future of Digital Mine.
We partner with our customers to ensure that real time information is being collected and distributed via distributed sensing capabilities by collaborating with Hifi Engineering & Stone Three
Wabtec Digital Mine
Software and Product Support
500 W Monroe Street
Chicago, IL 60661 - USA
U.S. toll-free (800) 285-6545
For the fastest response time, please fill out the contact form.
If you prefer to contact us directly, email WAB-Contact-Form [at] wabtec [dot] com.